Reid version of health care takeover everything we feared – and more!
“A 2074-page bureaucratic nightmare”
Friday, November 20, 2009 – In our message earlier this week we alerted you to the intention of Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid to file a “Motion to Proceed” on the healthcare bill passed in the House last week. Once that motion is passed, Reid would be free to substitute his own version of healthcare takeover.
At the time of our earlier message we did not know what the Reid version of healthcare takeover would look like, but we feared that it would represent an even more egregious, more expensive encroachment on the foundational principles of individual liberty and self-reliance. We feared also that taxpayer funding of abortion, removed from the House version by the Stupak/Pitts amendment, would be re-instated.
At this time, we do know what the Reid bill looks likes – and it exceeds our worst fears. Even more so than the House-passed bill or either previous Senate version, the Reid bill would be, as we have stated repeatedly, a giant and unalterable step toward socialization and absolute government control of our lives.
Here are a few specifics of the bill, as detailed in this morning’s press release from Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell.
“Democrats have spent six weeks behind closed doors putting together a trillion-dollar experiment in government-run health care that raises premiums, raises taxes, and cuts Medicare. We’ve now had less than 48 hours to look through this 2,074-page bureaucratic nightmare. But here are 10 things that every American should know about this bill.
- The Democrat bill includes nearly half a trillion dollars in new taxes that hit virtually every American, including middle class families making less than $250,000 a year.
- The Democrat bill would increase insurance premiums for individuals and families.
- The Democrat bill cuts Medicare for seniors by nearly half a trillion dollars ($465 billion) and limits the choices that millions of seniors now enjoy. NOTE: Click here to read the details of those Medicare cuts.
- The Democrat bill won’t lower health care costs according to the Congressional Budget Office.
- The true cost of this bill over 10 years, when fully implemented, is about $2.5 trillion.
- Under the Democrat bill, if you like the health insurance you have, you may not be able to keep it.
- The Democrat bill would let government bureaucrats dictate what kind of health plans Americans must purchase and what benefits they can receive.
- The Democrat bill creates a government plan that CBO has said would have higher premiums.
- The Democrat bill would, for the first time in history, allow federal programs to pay for elective abortions.
- Finally, Americans should know that this bill doesn’t have the common-sense reforms that they have been asking for all along, like getting rid of junk lawsuits and leveling the playing field when it comes to health care taxes.
Americans want reform. But higher premiums, higher taxes, and cuts to Medicare to create more government isn’t reform. Yet that’s precisely what they’d get with this Democrat bill.”
If you have not already done so, please click here to contact Senators Brown and Voinovich to urge them to oppose the Motion to Proceed on the health care bill.