Congress Passes Dangerous HR 5 to legalize discrimination in America
The so-called “Equality Act” legalizes religious discrimination, and obliterates parents’ rights
COLUMBUS – Under the leadership of Speaker Nancy Pelosi, the U.S. House of Representatives has passed HR 5 (236-173-23), a bill that would legalize religious bigotry in America, and threatens every ministry, business, and family in the United States. “This legislation represents the greatest threat to people of faith in ministry and the marketplace today,” said Aaron Baer, president of Citizens for Community Values. “Not only does HR 5 eliminate existing religious protections, it tells women, children and people of faith that they are second-class citizens.”
HR 5 is a Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity bill that, among other problems:
- Requires biological men be allowed in women’s restrooms, locker rooms, and showers if they claim they identify as women.
- Requires boys be allowed to play in girls’ sports in public schools if they claim they identify as women.
- Forces women’s homeless shelters and domestic violence shelters to allow biological men who claim to identify as women to bathe and bunk with women.
- Allows state government to remove children from parents’ custody who don’t consent to dangerous conversion/hormone therapy.
- Forces doctors to participate in “gender transition” surgeries and procedures.
- Requires businesses to participate in same-sex weddings, even if the wedding violates their religious beliefs.
- Requires faith-based ministries to abandon their statements of faith in hiring practices.
Here’s how Ohio’s Congressional Delegation voted (click the member’s name to send them an email):
Steve Chabot (CD 1)
Brad Wenstrup (CD 2)
Jim Jordan (CD 4)
Bob Latta (CD 5)
Bob Gibbs (CD 7)
Warren Davidson (CD 8)
Troy Balderson (CD 12)
David Joyce (CD 14)
Steve Stivers (CD 15)
Anthony Gonzalez (CD 16)
The bill now heads to the U.S. Senate. Click here to send Senator Portman and Senator Brown a short note encouraging them to vote NO on HR 5.
For more information, contact Citizens for Community Values at email@example.com, or 513.733.5775.
As Ohio’s Family Policy Council, Citizens for Community Values seeks the good of our neighbors throughout Ohio by advocating for public policy that reflects the truth of the Gospel. We endeavor to create an Ohio where God’s blessings of life, family, and religious freedom are treasured, respected, and protected.