Citizens for Community Values (CCV) does not speak for any candidate who has not answered the Voter Guide survey. However, in some cases, information relating to a candidate’s position on an issue is publicly available. This information may include a candidate’s voting records, public statements, campaign materials, or other credible sources. Based on this publicly available information, some candidate position statements have been determined after extensive research. If it is unclear or unknown where a candidate stands on a given issue, the answer has been intentionally left blank.
Office Sought: Governor (D)
Phone: (614) 505-9334
1) Should government fine or penalize private bakers or florists who do not wish to use their artistic expression to celebrate a same-sex wedding?
“Cordray Calls for Nondiscrimination Law With No Added Religious Exemptions” https://www.prizmnews.com/2018/04/cordray-calls-for-nondiscrimination-law-with-no-added-religious-exemptions/
Endorsed by HRC. https://www.hrc.org/blog/hrc-endorses-richard-cordray-for-ohio-gov
2) Should abortion be prohibited once the unborn child’s heartbeat can be detected?
Rich Corday endorsed by Planned Parenthood Action https://www.plannedparenthoodaction.org/planned-parenthood-advocates-ohio/2018-candidate-endorsements
Planned Parenthood Action opposes legislation to prohibit abortion once the unborn child’s heartbeat can be detected.
3) Should Ohio freeze eligibility for new enrollees in Medicaid?
“Protect medicaid expansion” https://secure.cordrayforohio.com/page/content/on-the-issues/
4) Should sports betting be legalized?
Democrat Richard Cordray says it’s time to consider sports betting as a way to shore up local funding for police, fire, teachers and those fighting the state’s opioid crisis. “You have activities like this that are going on right now, illegally, not regulated, no protection for individuals, no protection for the taxpayers and the citizens of the state. I think that we would be better off if we would license and regulate this activity and bring it out of the shadows and bring it into public view.”
5) Should parents be eligible for direct grants or subsidies for their children to attend the school of their choice, including non-public schools?
6) Should adults have to get a permit or license in order to concealed-carry a firearm?
7) Should the state withhold funding to “Sanctuary Cities” that do not comply with federal immigration laws?
8) Should public schools be required to allow students use the bathroom or locker room of their preference, regardless of the student’s biological sex?
Cordray Supports Ohio HB 160. https://www.hrc.org/blog/hrc-endorses-richard-cordray-for-ohio-gov
9) Should organizations that provide abortions, such as Planned Parenthood, be prohibited from receiving state funds?
“Rich Cordray opposes what he calls the “relentless attacks” on women’s health, and says he will “fight to ensure that all women in Ohio will be allowed to make constitutionally protected decisions about their personal health and will have expanded access to critical health screenings, prenatal and postnatal care, as well as measures to prevent infant mortality.” Cordray also says he will work to restore funding for Planned Parenthood. http://www.dispatch.com/news/20180307/democrat-bill-oneill-takes-anti-abortion-stance-in-governors-race
10) Should marijuana be legalized for recreational use?
“DeWine called out Cordray for not describing his personal position, prompting Cordray to say, ‘You have been living in the past and you are still living in the past … I will cast my vote yes to legalize it.’“ http://www.dispatch.com/news/20180919/ohio-governor-race-rich-cordray-mike-dewine-debate-opioids-ecot-marijuana