Citizens for Community Values (CCV) does not speak for any candidate who has not answered the Voter Guide survey. However, in some cases, information relating to a candidate’s position on an issue is publicly available. This information may include a candidate’s voting records, public statements, campaign materials, or other credible sources. Based on this publicly available information, some candidate position statements have been determined after extensive research. If it is unclear or unknown where a candidate stands on a given issue, the answer has been intentionally left blank.
Office Sought: U.S. House of Representatives, District 11 (D)
1. Should public schools be required to allow students use the bathroom or locker room of their preference, regardless of the student’s biological sex?
Endorsed by Cleveland Stonewall Democrats: http://clevelandstonewalldems.org/elections-endorsements-campaign-updates
Cleveland Stonewall Democrats support HB 160 which would require the government to fine or penalize private bakers or florists who do not wish to use their artistic expression to celebrate a same-sex wedding. https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=Cleveland%20Stonewall%20Democrats%20hb%20160
2. Should abortion be prohibited once the unborn child’s heartbeat can be detected?
Endorsed by Planned Parenthood: https://www.plannedparenthoodaction.org/uploads/filer_public/ff/ee/ffeea699-8d48-499e-b22e-f480aeed906e/july-ppao-candidateslate-v2.pdf
Planned Parenthood Action opposes legislation to prohibit abortion once the unborn child’s heartbeat can be detected. https://www.plannedparenthoodaction.org/planned-parenthood-advocates-ohio/issues/legislation
3. Should Congress make permanent the middle class tax relief provisions of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017?
Voted nay on HR 1. https://fudge.house.gov/press-statements/congresswoman-fudge-votes-no-on-gop-tax-bill/
4. Should federal funding be withheld from “Sanctuary Cities” that do not comply with federal immigration laws?
Voted nay on HR 3003 “No Sanctuary for Criminals Act.” http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2017/roll342.xml
5. Should adults have to get a permit or license in order to concealed-carry a firearm?
“F” Grade from the NRA. https://everytown.org/documents/2018/06/nra-grades.csv
6. Should Washington stop pressuring states to use the Common Core curriculum standards?
Voted Yes on amendment to strengthen current prohibitions against coercing states to adopt national educational standards. Specifically, it prohibits the Secretary of Education from conditioning any grant money or waivers upon states keeping Common Core or any other specific national curriculum standards. http://congress.freedomworks.org/bills/house-bill-hr-5?keyvote=10896&tab=roll-call
7. Should marijuana be legalized for recreational use?
8. Should government fine or penalize private bakers or florists who do not wish to use their artistic expression to celebrate a same-sex wedding?
Endorsed by the Human Rights Campaign: https://www.hrc.org/local-issues/ohio
HRC believes the government should fine or penalize private bakers or florists who do not wish to use their artistic expression to celebrate a same-sex wedding. https://www.hrc.org/blog/hrc-amicus-briefs-masterpiece-cakeshop-case-features-top-chefs-businesses
9. Should organizations that provide abortions, such as Planned Parenthood, be prohibited from receiving federal funds?
Voted nay on HR 7 – “No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act.” http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2017/roll065.xml
10. Should the federal minimum wage be raised to $15 per hour?
Congresswoman Fudge stated on May 26, 2016 “I support a path to a $15 minimum wage. It is time to end the era of wage stagnation, lift millions of Americans out of poverty, and create a better future for generations to come.” https://fudge.house.gov/press-statements/congresswoman-marcia-l-fudge-statement-on-15-minimum-wage/