Citizens for Community Values (CCV) does not speak for any candidate who has not answered the Voter Guide survey. However, in some cases, information relating to a candidate’s position on an issue is publicly available. This information may include a candidate’s voting records, public statements, campaign materials, or other credible sources. Based on this publicly available information, some candidate position statements have been determined after extensive research. If it is unclear or unknown where a candidate stands on a given issue, the answer has been intentionally left blank.
Office Sought: U.S. House of Representatives, District 15 (D)
1. Should public schools be required to allow students use the bathroom or locker room of their preference, regardless of the student’s biological sex?
Endorsed by the Human Rights Campaign https://www.hrc.org/local-issues/ohio
HRC supports public schools requiring students use the bathroom or locker room of their preference, regardless of the student’s biological sex. http://www.hrc.org/blog/disgraceful-the-trump-administration-puts-transgender-kids-at-risk
2. Should abortion be prohibited once the unborn child’s heartbeat can be detected?
Endorsed by Planned Parenthood: https://www.plannedparenthoodaction.org/uploads/filer_public/ff/ee/ffeea699-8d48-499e-b22e-f480aeed906e/july-ppao-candidateslate-v2.pdf
Planned Parenthood Action opposes legislation to prohibit abortion once the unborn child’s heartbeat can be detected. https://www.plannedparenthoodaction.org/planned-parenthood-advocates-ohio/issues/legislation
3. Should Congress make permanent the middle class tax relief provisions of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017?
Opposes the legislation: https://twitter.com/Rick_Neal/status/1031612076278669312
4. Should federal funding be withheld from “Sanctuary Cities” that do not comply with federal immigration laws?
5. Should adults have to get a permit or license in order to concealed-carry a firearm?
6. Should Washington stop pressuring states to use the Common Core curriculum standards?
7. Should marijuana be legalized for recreational use?
8. Should government fine or penalize private bakers or florists who do not wish to use their artistic expression to celebrate a same-sex wedding?
Endorsed by the Human Rights Campaign: https://www.hrc.org/local-issues/ohio
HRC believes the government should fine or penalize private bakers or florists who do not wish to use their artistic expression to celebrate a same-sex wedding. https://www.hrc.org/blog/hrc-amicus-briefs-masterpiece-cakeshop-case-features-top-chefs-businesses
9. Should organizations that provide abortions, such as Planned Parenthood, be prohibited from receiving federal funds?
Endorsed by Planned Parenthood Action: https://www.plannedparenthoodaction.org/uploads/filer_public/ff/ee/ffeea699-8d48-499e-b22e-f480aeed906e/july-ppao-candidateslate-v2.pdf
Planned Parenthood Action opposes defunding abortion providers: https://www.istandwithpp.org/defund-defined
10. Should the federal minimum wage be raised to $15 per hour?
“Neal will take on Stivers the congressman’s vote to repeal the federal Affordable Health Care Act. He supports a $15 minimum wage and economic development tied to development of advanced digital infrastructure.” https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/ohio/articles/2018-05-08/ohio-elections-chief-no-major-voting-problems-so-far